Righteousness is God’s character; it is being in right standing with God. God uses it as a gauge to measure His children (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
Every form of righteousness outside God is filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6), but the God’s righteousness to us is imputed. Therefore, God sees us through the lens of Jesus and not from our actions. We are created for good works (Eph. 2:10) which the Holy Spirit inspires in us. If you are led by the Spirit, your actions are righteous in God’s eyes. To please God or live righteously, you can’t do it by your own abilities; only rely on the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:14; 1 Cor. 2:16; Gal. 2:20; Phil. 4:13).
Demands of righteousness:
1. Leave room for God’s vengeance (Rom. 12:19; 2 Sam. 22:21-25; 1 Sam. 26:23). If you know the value of a person’s anointing, refrain from doing or speaking evil against him/her (1 Chron. 16:22; Num. 12:1-16). If God calls a person, He knows how to deal with him/her.
2. Don’t look at the outward appearance (1 Sam. 16:7). Pray before you take steps. When you reject the vessel that carries God’s anointing, you reject God (Acts 10:34).
3. Humility/Submissiveness: Jesus is God in person but submitted to the set protocol (Luke 2:52; Matt. 3:13-15; James 4:6).
4. Be happy with people when they are making it (Rom. 12:15), stop judging for God is the Giver of grace and be content with what God has given you (1 Tim. 6:6). When your turn comes, there are those who will be happy with you.
5. Walk by faith (Hab. 2:4; Rom. 4:18-22). Even if your expectations are not currently met, hope & believe in God’s Word for it will surely come to pass (Jer. 1:12). Give glory to God at all times (1 Thess. 5:18). When your expectation is met before time, it will kill you. That’s why God holds onto it as He matures you before He meets it. The level of your faith determines your righteousness (Heb. 11:6).
6. Hate what God hates (James 1:20; Eph. 4:26). God sometimes uses people’s weaknesses to make a way. Be careful how you handle issues (Prov. 6:16-19; 18:21), especially in church, because you will be destroying the body of Christ. Be an agent of peace rather than confusion & destruction.
7. Obedience to God’s Word (John 14:21; Psa. 119:11). God reveals Himself to the one who obeys Him (Rom. 10:4). God wants to mature us to the place of perfection as we delve into His Word.
8. Walk in love. Love is the entirety of the law (1 Cor. 13:13). Our only debt should be love (Rom. 13:8)
Faith comes by Hearing the Word of God but righteousness comes by applying the Word of God. You are an ambassador of Christ. Are you carrying the testimony of Jesus Christ?