(Deuteronomy 8:7-18) Thanksgiving will be a lifestyle to us; not something that we are forced to do, but something that flows naturally from the heart. The old generation of Israelites were kept in the wilderness for 40 years (period of unrest) because of their lack of gratitude; they were an ungrateful generation. Moses was instructing the new generation of Israelites of what will keep and sustain them in the promised land, their rest – a heart of gratitude. We fail to fully enter into God’s rest because we may have an area in our lives where there is unrest. God is ushering us into seasons of thanksgiving. Begin to thank the Lord! As you thank Him, the environment around you shifts for good! THANK YOU LORD!!!
Thanksgiving is powerful. It is an antidote for unrest, lack of peace and lack of joy. God has a plan of greatness for you; the only way God will usher us into one level of glory to another is if we learn to say, ‘thank You’ from our current position. God will not usher us into another level of greatness if we fail to acknowledge and be grateful of what He has already done (Malachi 2:2). When we say ‘thank You’, we are saying ‘Lord, You are in charge’, ‘Lord, You are the Source’, ‘I know without a doubt I can’t do it in my own strength, so I acknowledge what You have given me and I’m totally dependent on You’. Gratitude is a sign of humility before God. Before you lay your requests before the Lord, learn to say ‘thank You’ first.
Begin to say today, “Lord, I want to live a lifestyle of thanksgiving. Give me the grace to say, ‘thank You’ in season and out of season.” Thanksgiving is a choice and doesn’t come naturally. Thank God for EVERYTHING, even in things that seem small and mundane, and it will become natural. When thanksgiving comes naturally, changes happen.
Benefits of Thanksgiving:
1) It is a key to rest and to our destiny (Philippians 4:6-7). Ingratitude/Grumbling/Murmuring/Complaining is a shield/veil over your eyes to prevent you from seeing the work of God in your life (Philippians 2:14; Psalm 103:2; 107:2).
2) It gives us access to God (Psalm 100:4). When you pray and want to enter into the realm of the Spirit, begin with ‘thank You’. The glory of God will fill where you are. Thanksgiving removes worry and anxiety, and boosts faith. The One you are saying ‘thank You’ to holds the now and the future.
3) It establishes us in the will and purpose of God (1 Thessalonians 5:18).
4) It brings deliverance and sets us free (John 11:41; Acts 16:25).
5) God shifts battles on our behalf (2 Chronicles 20:21-22). Thanksgiving releases the supernatural power of God to go before us and fight the battle on our behalf.
6) It makes us walk in the realm of the Spirit and we experience multiplication (John 6:11). What is in your hand is not too small in the hands of a ‘thanks-giver’.
Thank you = Grace = Charis/Kharis
Thanksgiving makes us live under God’s grace and favour. Are you dominated by fear in whatever circumstance you are in? Tap into thanksgiving. God expects us as well to say ‘thank You’ (Luke 17:17).
Why We Should Give Thanks:
1) It pleases God
2) We are commanded to (Colossians 4:2)
3) It gets me Heaven’s attention
When To Give Thanks:
1) When you pray
2) During praise & worship
3) When sharing testimonies
Let us always acknowledge the hand of God in our lives, no matter the circumstances. Let us thank God for what He has fulfilled as we wait on what He will fulfill.